How can I get a course/courses re-evaluated or appeal an evaluation? And how long does it take?
ALL appeals regarding course evaluations should be directed in writing to the Transfer Credit
Center (TCC) and must be accompanied by a syllabus. We require syllabi for appeals &
re-evaluations because all first reviews are already based upon catalog/website course descriptions.
Syllabi provide the kind of additional information the faculty require for a more intensive
Syllabi may be:
- emailed to us here at tccinfo@ umd.edu.
- faxed (please include your name and SSN so that we can match to your file) to (301) 314-7915,
- or dropped off at the front counter of the Registrar's Office, located on the 1st floor
of Mitchell Building. (Be sure to fill out the short request slip at the front counter, which will
tell us what kind of re-evaluation you are seeking for the course(s).
Once received, we will then forward your request on to the proper academic faculty for a decision.
Please bear in mind in this process that the Transfer Credit Center is only the record-keepr for
the faculty's evaluations of your work. We are not the deciding authority.
Be sure to retain a copy of everything you submit for evaluation before you turn it in. The TCC cannot retain materials for you when the evaluation is finished.
Most evaluations will come back from departments within 3-4 weeks of TCC sending it to them. In cases of extreme emergency, if your advisor needs to know about a specific course faster, (e.g. in order to know if you've met a certain prerequisite for registration), your advisor may send you directly to the evaluating department to request an expedited evaluation. To do this:
- Your advisor will need to contact the evaluating department to notify them you're coming. Expedited evaluations will be done only under the referral of an academic advisor.
- Put your name, SID, your referring advisor's name, and "Time Sensitive" directly on a photocopy of the descriptive material you're handing in.
- Take that material directly to the evaluating department.
- You may check the status of any courses you've requested evaluation
on online at http://www.testudo.umd.edu/apps/uotrans or by calling your academic advising office's front desk.
If you are interested in appealing a freshman composition class evaluation, and you notice that
your course has a "PF" footnote beside it on your
Preliminary Transfer Credit Evaluation,
contact the Freshman Writing Office
for instructions on how to submit a portfolio for
from this requirement.